It is Hurricane Season: Be prepared! Have emergency plans in place to protect your family in the event of a sudden emergency
Terms to Know:
Hurricane Watch: Hurricane conditions are possible within the specified coastal area. Because hurricane preparedness activities become difficult once winds reach tropical storm force, the hurricane watch is issued 48 hours in advance of the anticipated onset of tropical-storm-force winds.
Hurricane Warning: Hurricane conditions are expected in the specified area of the warning. Because hurricane preparedness activities become difficult once winds reach tropical storm force, the hurricane warning is issued 36 hours in advance of the anticipated onset of tropical-storm-force winds.
Tropical Storm Watches and Warnings: Take these alerts seriously. Although Tropical Storms have lower wind speeds than hurricanes, they often bring life-threatening flooding and dangerous winds. Take precautions!
REMINDER: If you are told to leave, do so immediately!
What to bring if you have to go to Shelter:
· Food (at least a 3 day supply of non-perishables)
· Water (1 gallon per person for at least 3 days)
· Can opener for food
· First aid kit
· Prescription medications and glasses
· Baby food and diapers
· Complete change of clothes for each person
· Cards, games, books, music players with headphones or other activities for children
· Toiletries/ Personal hygiene items
· Garbage bags
· Battery-powered radio, cell phone
· Flashlights, one per person
· Lots of extra batteries
· A blanket and sleeping bag for each person
· Paper plates, paper cups, paper towels & plastic utensils
· Valuable papers or family documents such as insurance policies
· Cash and change, credit card
· Local maps, paper and pens