Oh the magic of Halloween, with the mystery of faces covered with masks or toddlers dressed in cute costumes! The trick-or-treating and family trips to the local corn maze.... What fun! There can be a fine line between fun and safety, especially when it comes to road and pedestrian safety on trick-or-treat nights. We want to make sure you have a safe and fun time.
Ghoulishly Good Tips to Stay Safe:
- Keep a close watch for kids on roadways, medians and curbs - BE CAREFUL
- A parent or responsible adult should ALWAYS accompany young children on neighborhood streets
- If older children are going, plan and review where they will be so it is acceptable to the parents; and stay in touch with them
- Make specific times when children are to return home
- Be sure to only go to homes where a porch light is on; and NEVER enter a home or a car for treats
- Keep heads up and walk, never run
- Be sure to have some kind of bright clothing or shining object for when the evening gets darker; fasten reflective tape to costumes or bags
- Make sure to go in familiar and well-lit areas
- Instruct kids to NEVER eat any treats until they return home and an adult can inspect the goodies for safety
Happy Halloween - Have Fun!